While the act of writing may be isolating, the work you produce should work to connect people. Your blog is one of the best platforms out there for reaching your audience with fresh content on a regular basis.
Five Tips For Blogging Success
- Do your homework up front. I know what everyone’s publishing in the marketing world about how awesome content is, and how you need a ton of it to stay in business in this day and age. A lot of that is true. But here’s the rub. It has to be the right type of content. It has to strike a nerve and provide value. It has to be exactly what your reader is looking for. You don’t land there by accident. Make sure that you’re thoroughly researching the subjects that you choose to write about. Provide links to other resources as often as you can. Create backlinks to your previous posts where it’s appropriate. It’s always good to look like you know what you’re talking about, and the quality of your research will be evident as you publish.
- Brush up on your writing skills. This is something your readers will surely notice. Make sure that you have a firm understanding of grammar and spelling. Know the difference between its and it’s, and their, they’re and there. A strong vocabulary also keeps readers engaged. Language mistakes can erode the trust of your readers and cost you business in the end.
- Utilize visuals. Photographs and graphics are your friend. You should have some type of visual with every post that you publish. Some readers are visual learners. An infographic can help you relay your infamation in a way that will help them. At the very least including some type of related photo with your post can make your post a little more visually appealing for the rest of us. In a world where your readers are making their decision to keep going within about 5 seconds, a picture can be their deciding factor.
- Push your comfort zone. Go to networking groups, talk with customers and clients. Promote your blog, but also listen to what people are saying. They may give you the feedback that you need to make things better. Read books that you may not otherwise read and look for ideas throughout every aspect of your life. You never know when you’ll find something that will relate back to what you’re doing.
- Promote your blog every chance you get. Chances are you probably have a core group that you interact with on a frequent basis. Do they know about your blog and the valuable information you’ve been publishing? Have you been posting your work in the online groups and communities that you’re part of? Posting to your account is still necessary, but take it one step further and participate in the conversations about your industry that are already taking place. You could also include a link to your blog in your email signature to ensure that those you’re in regular communication with are aware of it. Guest posting and commenting on a regular basis are also excellent ways to expand your reach.